• About us
  • New to Japan? Useful pages for foreign nationals

New to Japan? Useful pages for foreign nationals

Be mindful of your period of stay

A period of stay will have been established for the status of residence which was granted along with landing permissions. This period of stay will expire on the specified date.
Please be sure to verify both the length and expiration date of your period of stay, which is written on your residence card or the sticker affixed to your passport.

If you wish to extend your stay in Japan, you must undergo the necessary procedures before your period of stay expires.

If you would like to remain in Japan beyond your period of stay and there have been no changes to your circumstances, then you will need to apply for an Extension of Period of Stay.
If your circumstances have changed, you will need to apply for a Change of Status of Residence.

Both applications for an extension of period of stay and a change of status of residence may be completed online (under certain conditions).
For more information, please see the page on online residence application procedures.

Submit residence applications online!


Abide by Japanese law

If you are charged with a criminal offence (theft, bodily harm, drug-related charges, etc.), you may be subject to deportation.

Know your work restrictions

Possession of a residence card does not guarantee that the holder may work.
In order to work in Japan, foreign nationals must have a status of residence which permits employment or permission to engage in an activity other than those permitted by the status of residence previously granted.
For more information, please contact either your nearest Regional Immigration Services Bureau or an Immigration Information Center.

If the front of your residence card reads "就労不可" ("work prohibited"), then you are not able to work (or will require special permission to do so).

Part-time employment (for students and dependents)

Those with a "Student" or "Dependent" status of residence must receive permission to engage in an activity other than those permitted by the status of residence previously granted if they wish to seek part-time employment.
Generally speaking, this grants the visa holder blanket permission to work. However, they are only permitted to work up to 28 hours per week.
* Students may work up to eight hours per day during prescribed school holidays (summer break, etc.).

However, working beyond the scope of your permissions may render you ineligible to extend your period of stay. Please keep the conditions of the granted permission in mind.

Remember your notifications!

Notification of address

Mid to long-term residents who have newly entered Japan have fourteen days from the date their place of residence is decided to bring their residence card (see note) to the municipal office with jurisdiction over their area of residence and submit a notification of address.
(Note) If your passport states "在留カード後日交付" ("residence card to be issued later"), please bring that to complete the procedures instead.

While this notification is meant to be submitted by the person in question, it may also be completed by a family member living with the applicant or someone the applicant has entrusted the matter to.
For more information, please contact the municipal office with jurisdiction over your area of residence.

Regarding the My Number Card

Once the notification of address has been made to the relevant municipal office, an application for a My Number Card may then be submitted. Applications may be submitted online (with a computer or mobile phone) or by mail. The My Number Card serves to certify the holder's area of residence (municipality) and is used for social services, tax purposes, child care, and online applications for various administrative procedures.
For more information, please contact the call center (0120-0178-27) for services in English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, or Portuguese.

Notifications related to affiliated organizations, etc.

Those residing in Japan under a work or study-based status of residence whose affiliated organization (place of employment, study, etc.) undergoes a change in name or address, or is dissolved (bankruptcy, etc.); who have left their affiliated organization or terminated their contract (resignation, graduation, withdrawal from school, etc.); or who have transferred between organizations and/or signed a new contract (entering a new company, school, etc.) must submit a notification related to affiliated organizations.

Dependents and those living in Japan with Japanese or permanent resident spouses who divorce their spouse (or whose spouse passes away) must submit a notification of relationship with spouse (divorce/death).

These notifications may be submitted online.
Please refer to the e-Notification System Portal Site for more information.

e-Notification System Portal Site


Contacts for times of trouble

Should any problems arise during your stay in Japan, please feel free to contact the following consultation counters for help and advice.

Consultation Resources

Entry and Residence Procedures


Reference links

Portal site for daily life support for foreign residents

Portal site for daily life support for foreign residents

The daily life support portal has released a guidebook on living and working in Japan.
This handy collection of useful information is available in fourteen different languages.


Email Distribution Service of the Immigration Services Agency of Japan

Email Distribution Service of the Immigration Services Agency of Japan

The Immigration Services Agency has launched an email newsletter service, delivering helpful information straight to your inbox.
All you need is your e-mail address! Please be sure to sign up.


Regarding COVID-19

You will need Adobe Reader to view PDF documents.
If they do not display correctly, please try using the latest version.

Top of page