Request for disclosure of entry (return) / exit records

For those who used a facial recognition gate and did not receive a stamp on their passport, please see this page.

Procedures for requesting disclosure

1. Those who can request disclosure

(1) The individual whose information is recorded; or

(2) If the requester is a minor or an adult ward, their legal guardian/representative (someone with parental authority or the guardian of an adult).

Only the above may request disclosures.

Requests from voluntary representatives will not be accepted.

2. Request disclosure subject matter

(1) Records of entry or exit of a Japanese national from April 1, 1973

(2) Records of entry or exit of a foreign national from November 1, 1970, to date of request

* These records are not proof of travel logs or stay logs in other countries. Furthermore, records are not held for passengers of ships or airplanes which do not undergo entry procedures by an immigration officer. Records are also not held for those entering based on the Japan-US Status of Forces Agreement (parties related to US military stationed in Japan).

3. Request for disclosure form

Please use this application form for entry (return) / exit records disclosure requests - Word (in Japanese)Word PDF (in Japanese)PDF

  • For examples of request for disclosure forms, please see this PDF (in Japanese).PDF
  • Please take care to complete the form carefully and accurately.

(1) "2. Method of requested disclosure"
Prompt disclosure (issuance/sending of copy, etc.) can be achieved by either of the following two methods:

  • a. Conduct disclosure at an office
    Select this option if the requester wishes to come to the Immigration Services Agency to either view entry (return) / exit records or request issuance.
  • b. Sending a copy
    Select this option if the requester wishes for a copy of the entry (return) / exit records to be sent by postal mail.

If you wish for a copy to be sent, please include a letter pack for reply or a reply envelope with a postal stamp. (The postage depends on weight for standard-sized postal mail (see note); please include postage for express or registered mail).

(Note) Postage approximations (for one request for the disclosure of entry (return) / exit records)

  • Departure of Japanese nationals

    For disclosure requests made for periods from and after January 1, 2002, if the trips made to and from Japan total less than 140, then 94 yen in postage will be required. For a higher volume of trips, either 140 or 210 yen in postage will be required.

    For disclosure requests made for periods up until December 31, 2001, due to the changes in formatting, ten years’ worth of records would require 94 yen in postage. For longer periods of time, either 140 or 210 yen in postage will be required.

  • Departure of foreign nationals

    If only the entry / exit records have been requested, and you have left/returned less than 60 times under a re-entry permit or special re-entry permission, then 94 yen in postage will be required.

    If you are requesting other records in addition to your entry / exit records (e.g., changes to period of stay or residence cards), or if you have left the country more than seven times for a short stay without a re-entry permit or special re-entry permission, then either 140 yen or 210 yen will be required due to the higher volume of documents.

  • In addition to the stamp attached to the reply envelope when sending the request, we recommend you include a spare stamp that can be used if postage is not sufficient. If the postage is sufficient, the spare stamp will be returned unused, so please include extra postage just in case.
  • The Immigration Services Agency recommends using a letter pack if the requester asks for multiple copies or wishes to avoid postage issues.
  • Because the number of sheets varies depending on the request details and individual cases, the above amounts are simply an estimate.
  • Please write the return address on the reply envelope.
  • The return address is limited to the address or location entered on the copy of the residence certificate which is submitted.
  • Please understand that additional postage may be requested depending on the number of sheets.

(2) "3. Handling fees"
Please affix a revenue stamp of 300 yen for each application to the form (do not postmark the form).

  • Please ensure you pay the correct amount.
  • Revenue stamps issued by a local municipality and postal money orders will not be accepted.
  • If requesting multiple copies, please attach a revenue stamp based on the number of copies requested and clearly write the number of copies desired (e.g., attach a revenue stamp of 600 yen for two copies and write "requesting two copies" in a blank space nearby).
  • Revenue stamps are not sold at the counter. Please purchase one from a post office before submitting your application.

4. Submission of ID

Supporting documents are required to verify the applicant's identity.
Please refer to this guide for a list of approved forms of ID.

Please also attach supporting documents (copy of family register) if one’s current name and name at the time of the request are different due to marriage, etc.

* If you wish for submitted documents to be returned, please notify the agency by attaching a note saying so.

5. Required period for disclosure decision

By law, requests for disclosure must be addressed within 30 days from the date of their submission.
However, the actual time required to process a request varies on a case-by-case basis.

6. Frequently asked questions

For answers to frequently asked questions, please click here.

7. Where to submit requests for disclosure

Please submit (or send) the disclosure request form and the necessary ID to the following address.
Immigration Information Disclosure Section, Information System Management Office, General Affairs Division, Immigration Services Agency. [Map]
If submitting by mail, please write the recipient name in Japanese as shown on the "Map" page above.
Location: Yotsuya Tower 13F, 1-6-1 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, 160-0004
Tel: 03-5363-3005
Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (excluding Saturdays, Sundays, national holidays, and over the New Year's period)

You will need Adobe Reader to view PDF documents.
If they do not display correctly, please try using the latest version.

Top of page