Change of status of residence (Immigration Control Act, Article 20)

A change of status of residence occurs when a foreign national with a valid status of residence wants to change their purpose of residence to carry out activities falling under a different status of residence, files an application for permission to change their status of residence with the Minister of Justice, and receives permission to change from their current status of residence to a new status of residence.

This procedure allows a foreign national residing in Japan to apply for a different status of residence without departing from Japan when wishing to carry out activities that are not permitted under their current status of residence but are permitted with a different status of residence.

A foreign national wishing to change their status of residence must apply for permission from the Minister of Justice in accordance with the procedures provided for by the Ministry of Justice Order.

Top of page