Extension of period of stay (Immigration Control Act, Article 21)

As a general rule, a foreign national residing in Japan with a status of residence can stay as long as the period of stay grants. If, however, the intended purpose of stay is not achieved within the period of stay granted along with landing permission, it is a great burden for the foreign national to depart, acquire a new visa, and then enter Japan again.

The Immigration Control Act provides procedures for renewing the period of stay if the Minister of Justice deems it appropriate for the foreign national in Japan to extend their stay.

A foreign national desiring an extension of period of stay must apply for permission to extend the period of stay from the Minister of Justice in accordance with the procedures provided for by the Ministry of Justice Order.

Top of page