Medical Services

Activities that can be performed in Japan:

Doctors, dentists, and other activities related to medical services that require certification under the law.
Applicants who fall under this criteria includes doctors, dentists, nurses, etc.

Documents to be submitted

  Category 1 Category 2
Doctors/dentists Medical professionals other than doctors/dentists
Documents to be submitted


  1. Application form for change of status of residence - 1 copy
    * This form is available at Regional Immigration Services Bureaus.
    You can also access it via this page.
  2. One photograph (4 cm long × 3 cm wide)
    A sharp, clear photo of the applicant facing forward with no hat, cap, or head covering taken against a plain backdrop with no shadows; must have been taken within three months prior to submitting the application.
    The photograph should be attached to the photograph section of the application with the name of the applicant written on the back of the photograph.
  3. Presentation of passport and residence card (or certificate of alien registration)
  1. Documents proving that the applicant possesses Japanese certification as a doctor or dentist (copy of license or certificate, etc.) - 1 copy

  1. Documents proving that the applicant possesses one of the following Japanese certifications (copy of license or certificate, etc.) - 1 copy

    (1) Pharmacist

    (2) Public health nurse

    (3) Midwife

    (4) Registered nurse

    (5) Nursing associate

    (6) Dental hygienist

    (7) Radiology technician

    (8) Physiotherapist

    (9) Occupational therapist

    (10) Orthoptist

    (11) Clinical engineer

    (12) Prosthetist

  2. Documents that provide an overview of the institution of employment (if the institution requires permission to establish a hospital or doctor's office, documents clarifying the date permission is received) - 1 copy
  • "Applicant" refers to a foreign national wishing to enter and reside in Japan.
  • All certificates issued in Japan must have been issued within 3 months prior to the submission of the application.
  • Presentation of proof of identity (certificate of permission to act as a proxy, family register, etc.)
    If the application is being submitted by someone other than the applicant (the person submitting it should refer to this page), proof of identity is required to confirm that they are qualified to do so. Even if the application is submitted by someone other than the applicant, the passport and residence card of the applicant must to be presented, as written above in point 3.
  • It should be understood that other materials may be requested after the application has been submitted.


  1. If the submitted documents are in a foreign language, attach Japanese translations.
  2. As a general rule, submitted documents cannot be returned. If you wish for them to be returned for a special reason, such as difficulty obtaining new originals, make a request for their return at the time of application.
  3. If the scope of your activities changes, please apply for a change in status of residence as soon as possible. If you are not engaged in activities related to your designated status of residence for more than three months, then your status will be revoked.
Top of page