Activities that can be performed in Japan:

Acting as a language instructor, or performing other activities as an instructor at an elementary school, junior high school, secondary school, school for special needs, vocational school, miscellaneous category school, or an equivalent educational institution in Japan.
Applicants who fall under this criteria include language teachers, etc. at junior high schools and high schools.

Documents to be submitted

  Category 1 Category 2 Category 3
Applicant works full-time at an elementary school, junior high school, high school, secondary school, or school for special needs Applicant works full-time at an educational institution other than those given in Category 1 Applicant works part-time
Documents to be submitted


  1. Application form for change of status of residence - 1 copy
    * This form is available at Regional Immigration Services Bureaus.
    You can also access it via this page.
  2. One photograph (4 cm long × 3 cm wide)
    A sharp, clear photo of the applicant facing forward with no hat, cap, or head covering taken against a plain backdrop with no shadows; must have been taken within three months prior to submitting the application.
    The photograph should be attached to the photograph section of the application with the name of the applicant written on the back of the photograph.
  3. Presentation of passport and residence card (or certificate of alien registration)
In principle, no other documents are required for Category 1.
  1. One of the following documents that clearly defines the activities of the applicant:
    1. (1) In cases where a labor contract is being executed:
      Documents which state that the working conditions are compliant with Article 15, Paragraph 1 of the Labor Standards Act, and Article 5 of the Ordinance for the Enforcement of the Labor Standards Act - 1 copy
    2. (2) In cases where work is based on a contract other than an employment agreement:
      Copy of contract related to work (if applicant has contracted with multiple institutions, a copy of each contract should be given) - 1 copy
  2. Materials outlining the applicant’s personal history
    1. (1) Copy of a resume that clearly outlines the applicant’s skills, experience, and period of time in which they have been employed in their field - 1 copy
    2. (2) One of the following documents which prove the applicant’s academic background, work history, and other matters:
      1. A graduation certificate from a tertiary institution, a document certifying that the applicant has attained an equal or greater level of education, or a document certifying that the applicant has attained a diploma or an advanced diploma - 1 copy
      2. Copy of a license or other document that proves that the applicant is qualified - 1 copy
      3. If the applicant is looking to become a foreign language instructor, documents that certify that the applicant has received at least 12 years of education in the relevant foreign language - 1 copy
      4. If the applicant is looking to teach a subject other than foreign languages, documents that certify that the applicant has at least 5 years of professional experience as an instructor in the relevant subject - 1 copy
  3. One of the following documents that clearly defines the employment activities:
    1. (1) Informative materials outlining the employer’s history, staff, organization, and business operations - 1 copy
    2. (2) Other documents required to support/supplement the information provided in (1) - 1 copy
    3. (3) A certificate of registered matters - 1 copy
In principle, none of the documents listed to the right are required for Category 2.
  1. Copies of recent financial documents (for the current fiscal year), or copies of financial plans (for new businesses)
  • "Applicant" refers to a foreign national wishing to enter and reside in Japan.
  • All certificates issued in Japan must have been issued within three months prior to the submission of the application.
  • Presentation of proof of identity (certificate of permission to act as a representative, family register, etc.)
    * Regarding the above, if the application is being submitted by someone other than the applicant (the person submitting it should refer to this page ), proof of identity is required to confirm that they are qualified to do so. While the applicant’s actual passport and residence card must be presented (as listed in point 3), in cases where a certificate of alien registration is serving as their residence card, then a copy is permitted.
  • It should be understood that other materials may be requested after the application has been submitted.


  1. If the submitted documents are in a foreign language, attach Japanese translations.
  2. As a general rule, submitted documents cannot be returned. If you wish for them to be returned for a special reason, such as difficulty obtaining new originals, make a request for their return at the time of application.
  3. If the scope of your activities changes, please apply for a change in status of residence as soon as possible. If you are not engaged in activities related to your designated status of residence for more than three months, then your status will be revoked.
Top of page