|Documents to be submitted
- Application form for extension of period of stay - 1 copy
* This form is available at Regional Immigration Services Bureaus.
You can also access it via this page.
- One photograph (4 cm long × 3 cm wide)
A sharp, clear photo of the applicant facing forward with no hat, cap, or head covering taken against a plain backdrop with no shadows; must have been taken within three months prior to submitting the application.
The photograph should be attached to the photograph section of the application with the name of the applicant written on the back of the photograph.
- Presentation of passport and residence card (or certificate of alien registration)
- One copy each of a tax certificate (or tax exemption certificate) for individual inhabitant taxes and a tax payment certificate (showing gross income and taxes paid for one year)
Issued by the ward office, city hall, or town office of the municipality where the applicant resides as of January 1. If the certificate being submitted lists both one year of gross income and taxes due (including whether they were paid), no additional documents are necessary. If issuance by the ward office, city hall, or town office where the applicant resides is not possible due to certain reasons, such as having only just entered Japan or having moved recently, inquire at your nearest Regional Immigration Services Bureau for guidance.