Documents to be submitted

  Category 1 Category 2 Category 3
The applicant works full-time at an elementary school, junior high school, high school, secondary school, or special education school The applicant works full-time at an educational institution besides those listed to the left The applicant works part-time
Documents to be submitted


  1. Application form for extension of period of stay - 1 copy
    * This form is available at Regional Immigration Services Bureaus.
    You can also access it via this page.
  2. One photograph (4 cm long × 3 cm wide)
    A sharp, clear photo of the applicant facing forward with no hat, cap, or head covering taken against a plain backdrop with no shadows; must have been taken within three months prior to submitting the application.
    The photograph should be attached to the photograph section of the application with the name of the applicant written on the back of the photograph.
  3. Presentation of passport and residence card (or certificate of alien registration)
In principle, no other documents are required for Category 1.
  1. Tax certificate (or tax exemption certificate) for individual inhabitant taxes and a tax payment certificate (showing gross income and taxes paid for one year) - 1 copy of each

    • Issued by the ward office, city hall, or town office of the municipality where the applicant resides as of January 1.
    • If the certificate being submitted lists both one year of gross income and taxes due (including whether they were paid), no additional documents are necessary.
    • If issuance by the ward office, city hall, or town office where the applicant resides is not possible due to certain reasons, such as having only just entered Japan or having moved recently, inquire at your nearest Regional Immigration Services Bureau for guidance.
  2. Work based on a contract besides an employment agreement: Copy of contract related to work (contracts with all institutions if applicant works based on contracts with multiple institutions) - 1 copy

  • For those who fall under either Category 2 or 3 and are applying for their first change in status of residence since their change in occupation, please also submit the documents listed in items 4, 6, and 7 of the application form (those who fall under Category 2 do not need to submit those listed in 7).
  • "Applicant" refers to a foreign national wishing to enter and reside in Japan.
  • All certificates issued in Japan must have been issued within three months prior to the submission of the application.
  • Presentation of proof of identity (certificate of permission to act as a proxy, family register, etc.)
    If the application is submitted by someone other than the applicant (the person submitting it should refer to this page), proof of identity is required to confirm that the person submitting it is qualified to do so. Even if the application is submitted by someone other than the applicant, the passport or residence card of the applicant has to be presented, as written above in point 3.In addition, those submitting an application as a proxy must also present their passport or residence card, as outlined above in 3. For those using a certificate of alien registration (which acts as a residence card), a copy is permissible.
  • It should be understood that other materials may be requested after the application has been submitted.


  1. If the documents to be submitted are in a foreign language, attach Japanese translations.
  2. As a general rule, submitted documents cannot be returned. If you wish for them to be returned for a special reason, such as difficulty obtaining new originals, make a request for their return at the time of application.
  3. This application can be made within three months prior to the period of stay expiration date. (If the period of stay is less than three months, generally when half of the period of stay has passed.) It is recommended that the application be filed as early as possible.
Top of page