(institution of affiliation)
- Companies listed on a Japanese stock exchange
- Mutual companies operating an insurance business
- Local government agencies (foreign or Japanese)
- Independent administrative agencies
- Semi-governmental and licensed corporations
- Locally or nationally approved public interest corporations
- Public corporations listed in Appendix 1 of the Corporation Tax Act
- Companies which fall under clause a or b as stated in the center column of the special supplemental table in Article 1, Paragraph 1 of the Ministerial Ordinance on Highly Skilled Professionals (also known as "innovation companies")
* Please refer to the "List of Measures to Promote Innovation" in the link above.
- Companies that satisfy certain conditions (in Japanese)
- Individuals or organizations whose withheld taxes (as listed in the total statutory report) from the previous year totaled 10 million yen or more
- Institutions that have received approval to use the online residency application system
|Individuals or organizations who have submitted their total statutory report, including their employees’ withheld taxes for earned income from the previous year (excluding those who fall under Category 2)
||Those who do not meet any of the conditions listed in the other categories
|Documents to be submitted
- Application form for extension of period of stay - 1 copy
* This form is available at Regional Immigration Services Bureaus.
You can also access it via this page.
- One photograph (4 cm long × 3 cm wide)
A sharp, clear photo of the applicant facing forward with no hat, cap, or head covering taken against a plain backdrop with no shadows; must have been taken within three months prior to submitting the application.
The photograph should be attached to the photograph section of the application with the name of the applicant written on the back of the photograph.
- Presentation of passport or residence card
Document (or documents) certifying that the applicant falls under one of the categories listed above.
||Copy of a quarterly report or other document which proves that the company is listed on a Japanese stock exchange
Copy of a document certifying that the institution has been approved by the relevant authorities
Proof that the "innovation company" falls under clause a or b as stated in the center column of the special supplemental table in Article 1, Paragraph 1 of the Ministerial Ordinance on Highly Skilled Professionals (e.g., a copy of the grant approval notice)
Document proving that the company meets the aforementioned "certain conditions" (e.g., a copy of the relevant certifications)
||Copy of the total statutory report, including employees’ withheld taxes for earned income from the previous year (stamped with the seal of the office that accepted it)
Documents proving that the institution has received approval to use the online residency application system (emailed notices of approval, etc.)
||Copy of a document related to one’s total income for the previous year, such as a withholding tax slip (stamped with the seal of the office that accepted it)
- In cases where work will be performed under a dispatch contract (the applicant is being dispatched)
Documents outlining the applicant's activities at their intended destination (notifications of working conditions (employment contract), etc.) - 1 copy
|In principle, no other documents are required for Category 1 and Category 2.
Tax certificate (or tax exemption certificate) for individual inhabitant taxes and a tax payment certificate (showing gross income and taxes paid for one year) - 1 copy of each
- Issued by the ward office, city hall, or town office of the municipality where the applicant resides as of January 1.
- If the certificate being submitted lists both one year of gross income and taxes due (including whether they were paid), no additional documents are necessary.
- If issuance by the ward office, city hall, or town office is not possible due to a reason such as inadequate time since entering Japan or moving recently, inquire at the nearest Regional Immigration Services Bureau for guidance.