- Application form for permission for permanent residence - 1 copy
* This form is available at Regional Immigration Services Bureaus.
You can also access it via this page.
- Photograph (4 cm long x 3 cm wide) - 1 photograph
- A sharp, clear photo of the applicant facing forward with no hat, cap, or head covering taken against a plain backdrop with no shadows; must have been taken within three months prior to submitting the application.
- The photograph should be attached to the photograph section of the application with the name of the applicant written on the back of the photograph.
- Applicants under the age of 16 do not need to submit a photograph.
- Statement - 1 copy
- The applicant must provide a document outlining the reasons they require permission for permanent residence.
- Statements written in languages other than Japanese must include a translation.
One of the following documents, to prove the applicant's identity:
(1) Family register (certificate of all items) - 1 copy
(2) Birth certificate - 1 copy
(3) Marriage certificate - 1 copy
(4) Certificate of items recorded on acknowledgement notification - 1 copy
(5) Documents supporting (1) through (4)
- Residence certificate listing all members of the household - as required
* Please omit the My Number (Individual Number), and leave the other information as is.
One of the following documents, to prove the applicant's employment (or that of the person charged with their support):
(1) Those who are employed by a company or other organization:
Certificate of Employment - 1 copy
(2) Those who are self-employed:
* Applicants who are self-employed must provide proof of said employment.
- Tax return - 1 copy
- Business permit, where applicable - 1 copy
Documents (in any format) explaining and demonstrating the nature of employment - as required
* Should both the applicant and their spouse be unemployed, then a document (in any format) explaining their circumstances will be required.
Documents outlining the status of the applicant's income and tax payments for the past five years (and/or those of their primary supporter).
- While applications made from July 1, 2019 onwards have required the submission of withholding tax/special reconstruction income tax, self-declared income tax/special reconstruction income tax, consumption tax/local consumption tax, inheritance tax, and No. 3 tax certificates (for donations, etc.), those who applied by June 30, 2019 should be aware that they may also be requested to do so during the examination process.
(1) Documents proving the payment status of individual inhabitant taxes
a. Tax certificate (or tax exemption certificate) for individual inhabitant taxes, and a tax payment certificate (showing gross income and taxes paid for one year) for the past five years - 1 copy of each
b. Documents proving that the past five years of individual inhabitant taxes have been paid in a timely manner (bankbook copies, receipts, etc.)
- These are issued by one's municipal office.
- * If the above certificate being submitted lists both one year of gross income and taxes due (including whether they were paid), no additional documents are necessary.
- In the event that one's municipal office is unable to issue five years' worth of documents, please submit as many items from that time frame as possible.
- If records are unavailable due to reasons such as having newly entered Japan or having moved recently, please inquire at the nearest Regional Immigration Services Bureau for guidance.
- This applies to applicants whose individual inhabitant taxes were not subject to special collection (deducted from their salary) over the past five years.
- Applicants whose individual inhabitant taxes were subject to special collection (deducted from their salary) do not need to submit the documents requested in b. Please submit only the documents requested in a.
(2) Documents proving the payment status of national taxes
Specifically, tax certificates (No. 3) for withholding tax/special reconstruction income tax, self-declared income tax/special reconstruction income tax, consumption tax/local consumption tax, inheritance tax, and donation tax.
- These documents are issued by the tax office with jurisdiction over the applicant's area of residence. For locations of local tax offices and instructions on how to request forms, please visit the National Tax Agency website.
- When requesting No. 3 tax certificates, they will certify that there was no tax payable on the requested item at the time they were issued, so there is no need to specify the date range.
- Please submit tax certificates for each of the five items listed above.
One of the following to prove income
- Bankbook copies - as required
- Equivalent of a above - as needed
Documents outlining the status of the applicant's pension and medical insurance premiums (and/or those of their primary supporter).
- While applications made from July 1, 2019 onwards have required the submission of documents proving the payment status of public pension and medical insurance premiums, those who applied on June 30, 2019 or earlier should be aware that they may also be asked to do so.
- Please submit the following documents pertaining to enrollment in the national pension plan or medical insurance system in the past two years. (Applicants who paid into multiple forms of pension and/or medical insurance must submit documents for each one.)
- When submitting documents (including copies) that display a person's pension number, medical insurance number, or other such numbers/symbols that identify the insured person, please black them out well enough to render them illegible.
(1) Documents which prove payment of public pension insurance premiums over the past two years
a. Pension Coverage Regular Notice (Nenkin Teiki Bin) (document that lists all of the recipient's pension records to date)
- Please thoroughly black out the applicant's personal pension number if it appears on any of the documents being submitted.
- Those who are paying into pension plans other than the national pension plan (such as employee pension plans) should submit the documents listed in either a or b.
- Those who have been enrolled in the national pension plan for the past two years should submit the documents listed in c, in addition to those from either a or b.
- Applicants who have been continuously paying into their pension plan for the past two years do not need to submit item c. If it will be difficult to submit records for the full two-year period (24 months), please explain the circumstances in a separate document (any format), in addition to those from either a or b.
b. Screenshots of Nenkin Net "Monthly Pension Records"
- Those who have received their "Pension Coverage Regular Notice" from the Japan Pension Service (on their 35th, 45th, or 59th birthday) should submit all the documents listed under the "〇ねんきん定期便 (必ずご確認ください)" section of the table of contents.
- Although there is a Pension Coverage Regular Notice which is sent in the form of a yearly postcard, these may not be submitted as evidence, as they do not include all of the applicant's contributions.
- Those who would like a copy of their Pension Coverage Regular Notice (Nenkin Teiki Bin) (a document that lists all of the recipient's pension records to date) may submit an application with the Japan Pension Service using the contact information listed below. When submitting an application, please state that "全期間分(封書)を交付希望" - that you would like "documents for the entire period, in a sealed envelope." (It will take around two months to receive the documents.)
Contact information/phone number
Pension Coverage Regular Notice/ Internet Pension number: 0570-058-555 (Navi-Dial)
When calling from a phone that begins with "050": 03-6700-1144
c. National pension insurance premium receipts (copy)
- "Nenkin Net" services are only available in Japanese.
- They may be accessed from the Japan Pension Service homepage (link provided below). Please be aware that the registration process may take up to five business days.
- Provided that the applicant has paid into the national pension plan for the past two years, they may then select the "国民年金の年金記録(各月の納付状況)" (National Pension Payment Records (Monthly Payment Status)) from the "各月の年金記録" (Monthly Pension Records) section, and submit a copy of that screenshot.
- Those who have been enrolled in the national pension plan for the past two years should submit a copy of their receipts for that period. If it will be difficult to submit those records, please explain the circumstances in a separate document.
- Applicants who have been continuously paying into the national pension plan for the past two years (24 months) and are able to submit a copy of their pension payment receipts do not need to submit the items listed in a) and b) above.
(2) Documents which prove payment of medical insurance premiums over the past two years
When submitting documents (including copies) that display a person’s medical insurance number or other such numbers/symbols that identify the insured person, please black them out well enough to render them illegible.
a. Health insurance certificate for the insured (copy)
b. National health insurance certificate for the insured (copy)
- Those who are currently registered in a health insurance plan should submit verification.
- Applicants who have been continuously enrolled in health insurance for the past two years do not need to submit items b) through d).
c. Certificate of national health insurance premium payment (taxed)
- Those who are currently registered in the national health insurance program should submit verification.
d. National health insurance receipts (taxed) (copy)
- Those who have been enrolled in the national health insurance plan for the past two years should submit verification.
- Those who have been enrolled in the national health insurance plan for the past two years should submit a copy of their receipts for that period. If it will be difficult to submit those records, please explain the circumstances in a separate document.
(3) In cases where the applicant owns a business that provides social insurance
If the applicant is a business owner who provides social insurance, they must submit documents proving both the recent payment of public pension and medical insurance premium payments as stated above. Furthermore, they must submit either documents in a or b related to public pension or medical insurance premiums for their business for the period over the past two years during which they were the business owner.
* For business owners who have difficulty submitting copies of the health insurance documents listed above, please provide either a certificate proving the payment status of social insurance premiums, or an application for their confirmation (issued by the Japan Pension Service). In addition, please also submit documents proving the status of payment of health insurance association management premiums by the health insurance association. These are available at the health insurance association that services one's area of business.
a. Health insurance and employee's pension insurance receipts (copies)
b. Either a certificate of proof of payment or an application for the verification of social insurance premiums (no matter which document is submitted, it should clearly show payment/non-payment)
- The applicant (business owner) must submit receipts for the entire two-year period in which they were charged with running the business. If they applicant is unable to submit receipts for the entire two-year period, they should submit the items listed below.
- For the application form and more details on how to apply, please refer to the Japan Pension Service website. To obtain a certificate of proof of payment, using the link provided below, go to "1. 社会保険料納入証明書" (Certificate of Social Insurance Payment) and select the "社会保険料納入証明申請書" (Application for Certificate of Social Insurance Payment). Please select "一括用のみ" (Batch Use Only) for the output section and "延滞金含む" (Including Arrears) for the certificate section.
For applications for the verification of social insurance premiums, use the link provided below and go to "2. 社会保険料納入確認書" (Verification of Social Insurance Payment) and select the "社会保険料納入確認 (申請) 書 (未納の有無を確認する場合)" (Application for Verification of Social Insurance Payment (For Payment/Non-Payment by Applicant) form.
- Using the "サイトマップ" (Site Map) on the Japan Pension Service home page, click "年金について(しくみや手続き全般)" (Pensions (Structures & General Procedures) ) on the "厚生年金保険" (Employees' Pension Insurance) page; click on the "事業主向け情報" (Information for Business Owners) column; then click "事業主向け情報(その他)" (Additional Information for Business Owners) and "納入証明書・納入確認書" (Payment Certificates & Payment Verification)
One of the following documents, to prove the applicant's assets (or that of the person charged with their welfare):
(1) Bankbook copies - as required
(2) Certificate of registered matters for real estate - 1 copy
(3) Documents supporting (1) and (2) - as required
- Presentation of passport
- Presentation of residence card or certificate of alien registration
Materials related to guarantor
(1) Guarantor form
(2) The guarantor’s personal seal
There are spaces in the guarantor form where the guarantor's personal seal is required. (It is also possible to stamp the form before submission.) Those who do not possess a personal seal can sign.
(3) Documents pertaining to the guarantor
Please submit the following a through c:
- Documents proving their employment - as required
A certificate of employment, a certified copy of a company registration certificate, etc.
- Documents proving income for the past year
Copies of individual inhabitant tax certificates, withholding tax slips, etc.
* The two items listed above should be submitted in conjunction with those requested in items 6 and 7.
- Residence certificate - 1 copy
*In cases where the certificate is the same as the one being submitted by the applicant for Item 5, then one copy is sufficient.
* Please omit the guarantor's Individual Number (My Number).
Documents demonstrating the applicant's contributions to Japan (where available)
(1) Copies of awards, testimonials, accolades, etc. - as required
(2) Letters of recommendation from the applicant's workplace, university, related associations, etc. - as required
(3) Other items which show the applicant's contributions to their chosen field - as required
- Submission of proof of identity
* Regarding the above, if the application is being submitted by someone other than the applicant (the person submitting it should refer to this page), proof of identity is required to confirm that they are qualified to do so. While the applicant’s actual passport and residence card must be presented (as listed in points 10 and 11), a copy is permitted in cases where a certificate of alien registration is serving as their residence card.