Application for extension of period of stay (spouse of a Japanese national)

  • "Applicant" refers to a foreign national wishing to reside in Japan.
  1. Application form for extension of period of stay - 1 copy
    * This form is available at Regional Immigration Services Bureaus.
    You can also access it via this page.
  2. One photograph (4 cm long × 3 cm wide)
    • A sharp, clear photo of the applicant facing forward with no hat, cap, or head covering taken against a plain backdrop with no shadows; must have been taken within three months prior to submitting the application.
    • The photograph should be attached to the photograph section of the application with the name of the applicant written on the back of the photograph.
    • Applicants under the age of 16 do not need to submit a photograph.
  3. Family register of the Japanese national (certificate of all items) - 1 copy
    • Document stating the fact that the applicant is married to the Japanese national.
    • Please submit all documents within three months of their issuance.
  4. Documents proving the applicant can cover the cost of their stay

    (1) Tax certificate (or tax exemption certificate) for individual inhabitant taxes and a tax payment certificate for the most recent year (showing gross income and taxes paid for one year) for the person providing the applicant’s living expenses - 1 copy of each

    • Issued by the ward office, city hall, or town office of the municipality where the applicant resides as of January 1.
    • If the certificate being submitted lists both one year of gross income and taxes due (including whether they were paid), no additional documents are necessary.
    • If the applicant provides their own living expenses, please submit one copy each of the applicant's tax certificate (or tax exemption certificate) for individual inhabitant taxes and a tax payment certificate (showing gross income and taxes paid for one year).
    • Please submit all documents within three months of their issuance.

    (2) Other
    * Please submit the following materials if one is unable to certify living expenses using the materials in (1) due to recently arriving in Japan or recently moving.

    • Bankbook copies - as required
    • Certificate of expected employment or a written job offer (issued by a Japanese company) - as required
    • Equivalent of above - as required
  5. Spouse's (Japanese national's) guarantor form - PDF (in Japanese)PDF- 1 copy
    * The guarantor is the applicant's Japanese spouse who resides in Japan.
  6. Residence certificate of the Japanese spouse (which lists every member of their household) - 1 copy

    • Please omit the My Number (Individual Number), and leave the other information as is.
    • Please submit all documents within three months of their effective date.
  7. Presentation of passport
  8. Presentation of residence card or certificate of alien registration
  9. Presentation of proof of identity

    If the application is submitted by someone other than the applicant (the person submitting it should refer to this page), proof of identity is required to confirm that the person submitting it is qualified to do so. While the applicant’s actual passport and residence card must be presented (as listed in points 7 and 8 above), even if a person other than the applicant is submitting the application documents, a copy is permitted in cases where a certificate of alien registration is serving as the applicant's residence card.

  • It should be understood that other materials may be requested after the application has been submitted.


  1. If the documents to be submitted are in a foreign language, attach Japanese translations.
  2. As a general rule, submitted documents cannot be returned. If you wish for them to be returned for a special reason, such as difficulty obtaining new originals, make a request for their return at the time of application.
  3. This application can be made within three months prior to the period of stay expiration date. (If the period of stay is less than three months, generally when half of the period of stay has passed.) It is recommended that the application be filed as early as possible.

You will need Adobe Reader to view PDF documents.
If they do not display correctly, please try using the latest version.

Top of page