- Application form for extension of period of stay - 1 copy
* This form is available at Regional Immigration Services Bureaus.
You can also access it via this page.
- One photograph (4 cm long × 3 cm wide)
- A sharp, clear photo of the applicant facing forward with no hat, cap, or head covering taken against a plain backdrop with no shadows; must have been taken within three months prior to submitting the application.
- The photograph should be attached to the photograph section of the application with the name of the applicant written on the back of the photograph.
- Applicants under the age of 16 do not need to submit a photograph.
- Documents proving the continuation of the applicant’s marriage - 1 copy
Documents proving the applicant can cover the cost of their stay
(1) Tax certificate (or tax exemption certificate) for individual inhabitant taxes and a tax payment certificate for the most recent year (showing gross income and taxes paid for one year) for the person providing the applicant’s living expenses - 1 copy of each
- Issued by the ward office, city hall, or town office of the municipality where the applicant resides as of January 1.
- If the certificate being submitted lists both one year of gross income and taxes due (including whether they were paid), no additional documents are necessary.
- If the applicant provides their own living expenses, please submit one copy each of the applicant's tax certificate (or tax exemption certificate) for individual inhabitant taxes and a tax payment certificate (showing gross income and taxes paid for one year).
- Please submit all documents within three months of their issuance.
* Please submit the following materials if one is unable to certify living expenses using the materials in (1) due to recently arriving in Japan or recently moving.
- Bankbook copies - as required
- Certificate of expected employment or a written job offer (issued by a Japanese company) - as required
- Equivalent of above - as required
- Spouse's (permanent resident's) guarantor form (in Japanese) - 1 copy
* The guarantor is the applicant's spouse who is a permanent resident and resides in Japan.
Residence certificate of the spouse (permanent resident) (listing every member of their household) - 1 copy
* Please omit the My Number (Individual Number), and leave the other information as is.
- Presentation of passport
- Presentation of residence card or certificate of alien registration
Presentation of proof of identity
If the application is submitted by someone other than the applicant (the person submitting it should refer to this page), proof of identity is required to confirm that the person submitting it is qualified to do so. While the applicant’s actual passport and residence card must be presented (as listed in points 7 and 8 above), even if a person other than the applicant is submitting the application documents, a copy is permitted in cases where a certificate of alien registration is serving as the applicant's residence card.