Application for issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility (spouse of a Japanese national)

  • "Applicant" refers to the foreign national who wishes to enter and reside in Japan.
  1. Application for issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility - 1 copy
    * This form is available at Regional Immigration Services Bureaus.
    You can also access it via this page.
  2. One photograph (4 cm long × 3 cm wide)
    • A sharp, clear photo of the applicant facing forward with no hat, cap, or head covering taken against a plain backdrop with no shadows; must have been taken within three months prior to submitting the application.
    • The photograph should be attached to the photograph section of the application with the name of the applicant written on the back of the photograph.
  3. Family register of the Japanese national (certificate of all items) - 1 copy
    • Document stating that the applicant is married to the Japanese national. If there is no record of the marriage, the Japanese national will be required to submit a notification of marriage in addition to the copy of their family register.
    • Please submit all documents within three months of their issuance.
  4. Marriage certificate issued by an institution in the applicant’s home country (foreign country) - 1 copy
    • If the applicant is listed in a family register in the Republic of Korea, then a copy of the foreign family register (which clearly defines the marriage between the two parties) is also permissible.
  5. Documents proving the applicant can cover the cost of their stay

    (1) Tax certificate (or tax exemption certificate) for individual inhabitant taxes and a tax payment certificate for the most recent year (showing gross income and taxes paid for one year) for the person providing the applicant’s living expenses - 1 copy of each

    • Issued by the ward office, city hall, or town office of the municipality of residence as of January 1.
    • If the certificate being submitted lists both one year of gross income and taxes due (including whether they were paid), no additional documents are necessary.
    • Please submit all documents within three months of their issuance.

    (2) Other

    * Please submit the following materials if one is unable to prove the cost of their stay using the materials in (1) due to their recent arrival in Japan or from moving.

    • Bankbook copies - as needed
    • Certificate of expected employment or a written job offer (issued by a Japanese company) - as needed
    • Equivalent of above - as needed
  6. Spouse's (Japanese national's) guarantor form - PDF (in Japanese)PDF - 1 copy
    • * The guarantor is the applicant's Japanese spouse who resides in Japan.
  7. Residence certificate of the Japanese spouse (which lists every member of household) - 1 copy
    • Please omit the My Number (Individual Number), and leave the other information intact.
    • Please submit all documents within three months of their issuance.
  8. Questionnaire form - PDF (in Japanese)PDF - 1 copy
  9. Two or three candid photographs. (Both parties must be in each photograph, their faces clearly visible. Photographs which have been edited will not be accepted.)
  10. Reply envelope (a standard envelope with the address clearly showing and 404 yen in postage stamps (simplified registered mail) attached) - 1 copy
  11. Presentation of proof of identity

    * If the application is being submitted by someone other than the applicant (the person submitting it should refer to this page), proof of identity is required to confirm that they are qualified to do so.

  • It should be understood that other materials may be requested after the application has been submitted.


  1. If the documents to be submitted are in a foreign language, attach Japanese translations.
  2. If the name on the Certificate of Eligibility and passport are different, it may take some time to complete immigration procedures, due to having to confirm your name during each procedure before entering Japan. Therefore, we ask that you please submit a copy of your passport at the time of application when possible.
  3. As a general rule, submitted documents cannot be returned. If you wish for them to be returned for a special reason, such as difficulty obtaining new originals, make a request for their return at the time of application.

You will need Adobe Reader to view PDF documents.
If they do not display correctly, please try using the latest version.

Top of page