A dependent is defined as an individual who is the spouse or child of (and financially dependent on) a foreign national residing in Japan under one of the following statuses of residences: Professor, Artist, Religious Activities, Journalist, Highly Skilled Professional, Business Manager, Legal/Accounting Services, Medical Services, Trainee, Instructor, Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services, Intra-Company Transferee, Nursing Care, Entertainer, Skilled Labor, Cultural Activities, or Student.

Documents to be submitted

  • "Applicant" refers to the foreign national who wishes to enter and reside in Japan.
  • "Taxpayer" refers to the foreign national who is supporting the applicant in Japan.
  • All certificates issued in Japan must have been issued within three months prior to the submission of the application.
  1. Application for issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility - 1 copy
    * This form is available at Regional Immigration Services Bureaus.
    You can also access it via this page.
  2. Photograph (4 cm long x 3 cm wide) - 1 photograph
    • A sharp, clear photo of the applicant facing forward with no hat, cap, or head covering taken against a plain backdrop with no shadows; must have been taken within three months prior to submitting the application.
    • The photograph should be attached to the photograph section of the application with the name of the applicant written on the back of the photograph.
  3. Reply envelope (a standard envelope with the address clearly showing and 404 yen in postage stamps (simplified registered mail) attached) - 1 copy
  4. One of the following documents to verify the identities of the applicant and taxpayer

    (1) Family register - 1 copy

    (2) Certificate of acceptance of notification of marriage - 1 copy

    (3) Photocopy of marriage certificate - 1 copy

    (4) Photocopy of birth certificate - 1 copy

    (5) Documents supporting (1) through (4) - as requested

  5. Photocopy of the taxpayer’s passport or residence card (or certificate of alien registration) - 1 copy
  6. Documents proving the occupation and income of the taxpayer

    (1) For a taxpayer receiving remuneration for activities or who is operating a business which provides income

    • Copy of employment certificate or business permit - 1 copy
      * Please submit a certificate which clarifies the taxpayer’s occupation
    • Tax certificate (or tax exemption certificate) for individual inhabitant taxes, and a tax payment certificate (showing gross income and taxes paid for one year) - 1 copy of each
      • Issued by the ward office, city hall, or town office of the municipality where the applicant resides as of January 1.
      • If the certificate being submitted lists both one year of gross income and taxes due (including whether they were paid), no additional documents are necessary.
      • If issuance by the ward office, city hall, or town office where the applicant resides is not possible due to certain reasons, such as having only just entered Japan or having moved recently, please inquire at the nearest Regional Immigration Services Bureau for guidance.

    (2) For taxpayers engaging in activities other than (1) above

    • Certificate of bank account balance in taxpayer’s name or a scholarship certificate which shows the amount and period, as needed
    • Documents equivalent to the above that prove that the taxpayer can pay for the living expenses of the applicant, as needed
  7. Presentation of proof of identity (ID, etc.)
    * If a representative,You will be taken to an external page. proxy, or legal representative submits the application, proof of identity is required to confirm that the person submitting the application is qualified to do so.
  • It should be understood that other materials may be requested after the application has been submitted.


  1. If the documents to be submitted are in a foreign language, attach Japanese translations.
  2. If the name on the Certificate of Eligibility and passport are different, it may take some time to complete immigration procedures, due to having to confirm your name during each procedure before entering Japan. Therefore, we ask that you please submit a copy of your passport at the time of application when possible.
  3. As a general rule, submitted documents cannot be returned. If you wish for them to be returned for a special reason, such as difficulty in obtaining new originals, make a request for their return at the time of application.
Top of page