Application for issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility (biological or adopted child of a Japanese national)

  • "Applicant" refers to the foreign national who wishes to enter and reside in Japan.
  1. Application for issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility - 1 copy
    * This form is available at Regional Immigration Services Bureaus.
    You can also access it via this page.
  2. One photograph (4 cm long × 3 cm wide)
    • A sharp, clear photo of the applicant facing forward with no hat, cap, or head covering taken against a plain backdrop with no shadows; must have been taken within three months prior to submitting the application.
    • The photograph should be attached to the photograph section of the application with the name of the applicant written on the back of the photograph.
  3. Family register or removal certificate of applicant’s parents (certificate of all items) - 1 copy
    * Please submit all documents within three months of their issuance.
  4. One of the following documents if born in Japan - 1 copy

    (1) Birth Certificate

    (2) Certificate of acceptance proving legal father-child relationship

    • Please submit all documents within three months of their issuance.
    • The documents listed in (2) must only be presented if they have been issued by a Japanese government office.
  5. One of the following documents if born overseas - 1 copy

    (1) Birth certificate issued by an institution of the applicant's birth country

    (2) Certificate of acknowledgement proving legal father-child relationship issued by an institution of the applicant's birth country (only if there is a certificate of acknowledgement)

  6. One of the following documents in case of adoption - 1 copy

    (1) Certificate of acceptance of adoption

    (2) Certified copy of court order and certificate of establishment of adoption issued by Japan’s family courts

  7. Documents proving the cost of one’s stay in Japan

    (1) Tax certificate (or tax exemption certificate) for individual inhabitant taxes of the person covering the cost of the applicant’s stay (whoever has higher income in cases of multiple taxpayers) and a tax payment certificate for the most recent year (showing gross income and taxes paid for one year) - 1 copy of each

    • Issued by the ward office, city hall, or town office of the municipality of residence as of January 1.
    • If the certificate being submitted lists both one year of gross income and taxes due (including whether they were paid), no additional documents are necessary.
    • Please submit all documents within three months of their issuance.

    (2) Other

    * Please submit the following materials if one is unable to prove the cost of their stay using the materials in (1) due to their recent arrival in Japan or from moving.

    • Bankbook copies - as needed
    • Certificate of expected employment or a written job offer (issued by a Japanese company) - as needed
    • Equivalent of above
  8. Guarantor form - PDF (in Japanese)PDF - 1 copy
    • The guarantor must be a Japanese national residing in Japan (the child’s parent or adoptive parent)
  9. Reply envelope (a standard envelope with the address clearly showing and 404 yen in postage stamps (simplified registered mail) attached) - 1 copy
  10. Submission of proof of identity

    * If the application is being submitted by someone other than the applicant (the person submitting it should refer to this page), proof of identity is required to confirm that they are qualified to do so.

  • It should be understood that other materials may be requested after the application has been submitted.


  1. If the documents to be submitted are in a foreign language, attach Japanese translations.
  2. If the name on the Certificate of Eligibility and passport are different, it may take some time to complete immigration procedures, due to having to confirm your name during each procedure before entering Japan. Therefore, we ask that you please submit a copy of your passport at the time of application when possible.
  3. As a general rule, submitted documents cannot be returned. If you wish for them to be returned for a special reason, such as difficulty obtaining new originals, make a request for their return at the time of application.

You will need Adobe Reader to view PDF documents.
If they do not display correctly, please try using the latest version.

Top of page