Third-generation Japanese descendants

  • "Applicant" refers to the foreign national (third-generation Japanese descendant) who wishes to enter and reside in Japan.
  1. Application for issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility - 1 copy
    * This form is available at Regional Immigration Services Bureaus.
    You can also access it via this page.
  2. Photograph (4 cm long x 3 cm wide) - 1 photograph
    • A sharp, clear photo of the applicant facing forward with no hat, cap, or head covering taken against a plain backdrop with no shadows; must have been taken within three months prior to submitting the application.
    • The photograph should be attached to the photograph section of the application with the name of the applicant written on the back of the photograph.
  3. Reply envelope (a standard envelope with the address clearly showing and 404 yen in postage stamps (simplified registered mail) attached) - 1 copy
  4. Items to be issued by the applicant’s local ward office or city hall

    (1) Family register or removal certificate (certificate of all items) of grandparents (Japanese nationals) - 1 copy

    (2) The grandparents' and parents’ marriage certificates - 1 copy of each

    (3) The applicant’s notification of birth - 1 copy

    (4) The grandparents' and parents’ notifications of death - 1 copy of each

    (5) The residence certificate of the person living with the applicant in Japan (which lists every member of their household) - 1 copy

    • The residence certificate must be submitted only if the applicant lives with a person legally residing in Japan.
    • Please omit the My Number (Individual Number) on the residence certificate, and leave the other information intact.
    • The documents listed in (2) through (4) must only be presented if they have been issued by a Japanese government office.
    • Please ensure that the documents listed in (1) to (5) have been issued within the past three months.
  5. Items proving one’s employment and income

    (1) To be submitted by the applicant:

    • Certificates of the applicant’s bank balances - as required
    • Either a certificate of expected employment or a written job offer (issued by a Japanese company)

    (2) If the applicant is being financially supported by a sponsor in Japan, then one copy of their (the sponsor’s) tax certificate (or tax exemption certificate) for individual inhabitant taxes and a tax payment certificate for the most recent year (showing gross income and taxes paid for one year) - 1 copy of each

    • Issued by the ward office, city hall, or town office of the municipality where the applicant resides as of January 1.
    • If the certificate being submitted lists both one year of gross income and taxes due (including whether they were paid), no additional documents are necessary.
    • If issuance by the ward office, city hall, or town office where the applicant resides is not possible due to certain reasons, such as having only just entered Japan or having moved recently, inquire at your nearest Regional Immigration Services Bureau for guidance.
    • Please submit all documents within three months of their issuance.
  6. Other

    (1) Guarantor form - PDF (in Japanese)PDF - 1 copy
    * Guarantors are typically Japanese nationals living in Japan, or permanent residents.

    (2) Criminal background check (issued by an institution in the applicant’s home country) - 1 copy

    (3) Marriage certificate(s) issued by an institution in the grandparents' and/or parents’ home country - 1 copy each

    (4) Birth certificate(s) issued by an institution in the parents' and/or applicant’s home country (foreign country) - 1 copy each

    (5) Certificate of acknowledgement issued by an institution of the applicant’s home country (foreign country) - 1 copy
    * Only applicable if the applicant has a certificate of acknowledgement.

    (6) Official documentation proving the existence of the grandparents and/or parents - as required (e.g., passports, certificates of death, driver’s licenses)

    (7) Official documentation proving the applicant’s identity - as required (e.g., personal ID, driver's license, military service certificate, voting slip)

    (8) One of the following certificates which proves one’s Japanese proficiency:
    * This is only required if the applicant applies for a period of stay of five years. (Excludes minors.)

    • A document showing that the applicant has completed at least six months of Japanese language study at an institution approved by the Minister of Justice.
    • A certificate showing that the applicant has passed the N2 level of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test.
    • A certificate showing that the applicant has scored at least 400 points on the JLRT (the listening and reading comprehension portion of the Business Japanese Proficiency Test offered by the Japan Kanji Aptitude Testing Foundation).
    • Document showing that the applicant has received at least one year of instruction at a school (as defined by Article 1 of the School Education Act; excluding kindergartens).

    (9) Presentation of proof of identity
    * If the application is being submitted by someone other than the applicant (the person submitting it should refer to this page), proof of identity is required to confirm that they are qualified to do so.

  • It should be understood that other materials may be requested after the application has been submitted.


  1. If the documents to be submitted are in a foreign language, attach Japanese translations.
  2. If the name on the Certificate of Eligibility and passport are different, it may take some time to complete immigration procedures, due to having to confirm your name during each procedure before entering Japan. Therefore, we ask that you please submit a copy of your passport at the time of application when possible.
  3. As a general rule, submitted documents cannot be returned. If you wish for them to be returned for a special reason, such as difficulty obtaining new originals, make a request for their return at the time of application.

You will need Adobe Reader to view PDF documents.
If they do not display correctly, please try using the latest version.

Top of page