Items to be issued by the applicant's local ward office or city hall
(1) Certificate of acceptance of marriage - 1 copy
* Only include this form if you have already submitted it to a Japanese government office.
(2) The third-generation Japanese descendant’s residence certificate (which lists every member of their household) - 1 copy
* Please omit the My Number (Individual Number), and leave the other information as is.
(3) The third-generation Japanese descendant's tax certificate (or tax exemption certificate) for individual inhabitant taxes and a tax payment certificate for the most recent year (showing gross income and taxes paid for one year) - 1 copy of each
(1) Guarantor form PDF (in Japanese) - 1 copy
* The guarantor is typically the third-generation Japanese descendant.
(2) Marriage certificate issued by an institution in the applicant’s home country (foreign country) - 1 copy
(3) Birth certificate issued by an institution in the applicant’s home country (foreign country) - 1 copy
Questionnaire form - PDF (in Japanese) - 1 copy
This document was updated on June 6, 2017. Please submit the new version.
The questionnaire form is available in multiple languages on this page.
(4) Two or three candid photographs. (Both parties must be in each photograph, their faces clearly visible. Photographs which have been edited will not be accepted.)
(5) A criminal background check (issued by an institution in the applicant’s home country) - 1 copy
(6) Official documentation proving the applicant’s identity - as required (e.g., personal ID, driver's license, military service certificate, voting slip)
(7) One of the following certificates which proves one’s Japanese proficiency:
* This is only required if the applicant applies for a period of stay of five years. (Excludes minors.)
(8) Presentation of proof of identity
* If the application is being submitted by someone other than the applicant (the person submitting it should refer to this page), proof of identity is required to confirm that they are qualified to do so.