Third-generation Japanese descendants who are unemployed

  • "Applicant" refers to the foreign national who wishes to enter and reside in Japan.
  • "Third-generation Japanese descendant" refers to the lawful husband or wife of the applicant.
  1. Application for issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility - 1 copy
    * This form is available at Regional Immigration Services Bureaus.
    You can also access it via this page.
  2. Photograph (4 cm long x 3 cm wide) - 1 photograph
    • A sharp, clear photo of the applicant facing forward with no hat, cap, or head covering taken against a plain backdrop with no shadows; must have been taken within three months prior to submitting the application.
    • The photograph should be attached to the photograph section of the application with the name of the applicant written on the back of the photograph.
  3. Reply envelope (a standard envelope with the address clearly showing and 404 yen in postage stamps (simplified registered mail) attached) - 1 copy
  4. Items to be issued by one’s ward office or city hall

    (1) Certificate of acceptance of marriage - 1 copy
    * Only include this form if you have already submitted it to a Japanese government office.

    (2) The third-generation Japanese descendant’s residence certificate (which lists every member of the household) - 1 copy
    * Please omit the My Number (Individual Number), and leave the other information intact.

    (3) The third-generation Japanese descendant's tax certificate (or tax exemption certificate) for individual inhabitant taxes and a tax payment certificate for the most recent year (showing gross income and taxes paid for one year) - 1 copy of each

    • Issued by the ward office, city hall, or town office of the municipality of residence as of January 1.
    • If the certificate being submitted lists both one year of gross income and taxes due (including whether they were paid), no additional documents are necessary.
    • If issuance by the ward office, city hall, or town office of residence is not possible due to a reason such as inadequate time since entering Japan or moving recently, please contact your nearest Regional Immigration Services Bureau for guidance.
    • Please ensure that the documents listed in (1) to (3) have been issued within the past three months.
  5. Other

    (1) Guarantor form PDF (in Japanese)PDF - 1 copy
    * The guarantor is typically the third-generation Japanese descendant.

    (2) Marriage certificate issued by an institution in the applicant’s home country (foreign country) - 1 copy

    (3) Birth certificate issued by an institution in the applicant’s home country (foreign country) - 1 copy

    Questionnaire form - PDF (in Japanese)PDF - 1 copy
    This document was updated on June 6, 2017. Please submit the new version.
    The questionnaire form is available in multiple languages on this page.

    (4) Two or three candid photographs. (Both parties must be in each photograph, their faces clearly visible. Photographs which have been edited will not be accepted.)

    (5) A criminal background check (issued by an institution in the applicant’s home country) - 1 copy

    (6) Official documentation proving the applicant’s identity - as required (e.g., personal ID, driver's license, military service certificate, voting slip)

    (7) Bankbook copies - as required

    (8) One of the following certificates which proves one’s Japanese proficiency:
    * This is only required if the applicant applies for a period of stay of five years. (Excludes minors.)

    • A document showing that the applicant has completed at least six months of Japanese language study at an institution approved by the Minister of Justice.
    • A certificate showing that the applicant has passed the N2 level of the Japanese Proficiency Test.
    • A certificate showing that the applicant has scored at least 400 points on the JLRT (the listening and reading comprehension portion of the Business Japanese Proficiency Test offered by the Japan Kanji Aptitude Testing Foundation).
    • A document showing that the applicant has received at least one year of instruction at a school (as defined by Article 1 of the School Education Act; excluding kindergartens).

    (9) Presentation of proof of identity
    * If the application is being submitted by someone other than the applicant (the person submitting it should refer to this page), proof of identity is required to confirm that they are qualified to do so.

  • It should be understood that other materials may be requested after the application has been submitted.


  1. If the documents to be submitted are in a foreign language, attach Japanese translations.
  2. If the name on the Certificate of Eligibility and passport are different, it may take some time to complete immigration procedures, due to having to confirm your name during each procedure before entering Japan. Therefore, we ask that you please submit a copy of your passport at the time of application when possible.
  3. As a general rule, submitted documents cannot be returned. If you wish for them to be returned for a special reason, such as difficulty obtaining new originals, make a request for their return at the time of application.

You will need Adobe Reader to view PDF documents.
If they do not display correctly, please try using the latest version.

Top of page