Return procedures (the Departure Order System) for overstaying foreign nationals

A foreign national living in Japan who has exceeded their period of stay and wishes to depart may do so without detention by using the "departure order system" on the condition that the following five requirements are met:

  1. After requesting departure from Japan, the foreign national promptly makes an appearance at an immigration office.
  2. There are no grounds for deportation other than having exceeded the period of stay.
  3. The foreign national has not, after entry, been sentenced to imprisonment with work or imprisonment without work due to certain crimes, such as theft.
  4. The foreign national has never before departed from Japan through deportation or the departure order system.
  5. The foreign national is expected with certainty to promptly depart from Japan.

A foreign national who has departed through deportation procedures may not re-enter Japan for a minimum of five years. However, if the departure is through the departure order system, the period is one year.

What is the Departure Order System?

The Departure Order System...

facilitates the departure of foreign nationals who have overstayed, meet specific requirements, and have not been detained.

  • Can I use the Departure Order System if I have overstayed?
    → Yes, as long as there are no other violations or a history of deportation.
  • If I go to immigration office, will I be detained?
    → No. If you make an appearance at an immigration office with the intention of prompt departure, you will not be detained.
  • → Once I return home, can I come back to Japan again?
    → The landing denial period is one year.
  • Appearance at an immigration office
  • Departure order issued
  • Departure

The procedure takes two to three weeks.

  • Required items:
    Passport (ID)
    Proof of residence
  • Where to make an appearance:
    Regional Immigration Services Bureau or District Immigration Services Office
    (The procedure cannot be requested at airports. )

First, head to your nearest immigration office!

Immigration Services Agency

For more details, please contact your local Regional Immigration Services Bureau or District Immigration Services Office.

Top of page