|Name of procedure
||Application for issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility
||Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act, Article 7-2
|Individuals subject to procedure
||Foreign nationals who wish to enter Japan (excluding those who intend to stay for a short period of time)
||Please submit your application well in advance in order to ensure that the certificate is issued prior to your arrival.
|How to submit
||Please fill in the application form with the required information, prepare the attached documents, and submit them together to the proper counter at a Regional Immigration Services Bureau.
|Who can submit
- The applicant (a foreign national wishing to enter Japan)
- An employee of an organization that intends to accept the applicant or a representative as determined by Ordinance of the Ministry of Justice (Opens new window)
- Application proxies who fall under any of the following conditions (1) to (3) (Those who can submit the application on behalf of persons 1 or 2 *1)
*1 Application can be made through a proxy only if 1 or 2 are residing in Japan at time of application.
(1) An employee of an administrative agency that facilitates the smooth reception of foreign nationals and who has been deemed as appropriate for this role by the Director-General of a Regional Immigration Services Bureau
(2) Attorneys or paralegals who have notified the Director-General of the relevant Regional Immigration Services Bureau
* In such case, they will be asked to present a document proving their identity (such as a company ID card).
(3) Legal representative of the applicant
||There is no handling fee.
|Attached documents and number of copies
||Submit materials depending on activities in Japan.
(Note 1) Can be printed on standard Japanese A4 paper.
(Note 2) To avoid reducing the size of the copy, uncheck "reduce page to fit paper size (K)" in the print dialog box before printing.
(Note 3) Print the application form for issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility on separate sheets (do not print double-sided).
(Note 4) The guarantor form is a document that must be submitted when those whose status of residence is established by Appendix 2 of the Immigration Control Act are applying for issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility. (For example, (1) the spouse (husband or wife) or biological child of a Japanese citizen, (2) the spouse (husband or wife) of a permanent resident, or (3) people of Japanese descent/the spouse (husband or wife) of a person of Japanese descent).
(Note 5) The inquiry form is a document that must be submitted by the applicant if their spouse (husband or wife) is (1) a Japanese citizen, (2) a permanent resident, or (3) a person of Japanese descent) when applying for issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility.
(Note 6) The petition form is a document that must be submitted if activities pertaining to entertainments such as plays, songs, dances, or performances are intended.
(Note 7) The Acceptance Certificate for Foreign National Patients above is a document that must be submitted when staying in Japan for the period necessary to receive medical services in a hospital.
|Recipient of submission
||Contact either the Regional Immigration Services Bureau with jurisdiction over the location of accepting organization and your intended place of residence, or an Immigration Information Center (Tel: 0570-013904).
||Weekdays 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
(The day or time may vary depending on the procedure, so contact either a Regional Immigration Services Bureau or Immigration Information Center (Tel: 0570-013904).)
||Contact either a Regional Immigration Services Bureau or Immigration Information Center (Tel: 0570-013904).
||Those who are truthful about their intentions to carry out activities in Japan in relation to this application; those whose activities include the activities listed in Table 1 of the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act Appendix (opens in new window).
Those with status or position listed in Table 2 of the Appendix (excluding the positions listed in the row for permanent resident) and who additionally intend to engage in activities listed in tables (ii) and (iv); and who conform to the standards set forth by the Ordinance of the Ministry of Justice (Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act, Article 7 paragraph 2, Ministerial Ordinance Establishing Standards (1990 Ordinance of the Ministry of Justice Article 16)) (opens new window).
|Standard processing period
||One to three months
|How to appeal
- Nationals of the Republic of the Philippines, Socialist Republic of Vietnam, People's Republic of China, Republic of Indonesia, Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal, or Republic of the Union of Myanmar who are visiting Japan as mid to long-term residents will, once preparations are made, undergo a pre-entry tuberculosis screening and submit a certificate of absence of tuberculosis issued from a medical institution designated by the Japanese government, at the time of application for issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility
- Persons with re-entry permission who can confirm that their current residence is a country or region other than those given above will not undergo this screening.
Announcements concerning the starting times of each target country will be made three months prior to the approximate start date via the home page of the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare.
For more information, please visit the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare home page.